Getting Data In

Local props.conf and transforms.conf

balcv
Contributor

When creating the local/props.conf and local/transforms.conf, do I need to copy the entire default/props.conf and default/transforms.conf files into local/ or do I simply start with blank files and add the sections I need?

0 Karma
1 Solution

wwhite12
Path Finder

No you do not, local will always take precedence and will not be overwritten when updating the app. Whereas best practice with default is to leave alone as it will be overwritten if app is ever updated so you don't want to lose your changes by putting them there.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles#How_Splunk...

View solution in original post

wwhite12
Path Finder

No you do not, local will always take precedence and will not be overwritten when updating the app. Whereas best practice with default is to leave alone as it will be overwritten if app is ever updated so you don't want to lose your changes by putting them there.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles#How_Splunk...

balcv
Contributor

Thanks for that. Just wanted to make sure before I made too many changes.

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No you do not, only the settings you want to overwrite or change from the default.

There is a default stanza that all props inherit settings from, you can find that in default.

If you run btool --debug against your sourcetype, you will be able see all the settings that are applied and inherited from the default, along with which files Splunk is reading the configuration from. Good to always check!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...