Getting Data In

Line breaks within a CSV field.

ocallender
Explorer

I have a .csv file with several fields. there are many date fields and text fields, but fields are long blobs of text (such as the body of an e-mail) lets call such a field "longtext". The problem is that whenever Splunk encounters a newline character in the longtext field, it interprets it as a line break which throws off the event breaks.

How can I get all of the text in "longtext" to be properly indexed without Splunk interpreting the newline as a line break?

Example:

create_time,request_id,username,longtext,responded_time,closed_time
2013-11-23 11:00,2322,johnsmith,Here is the long blob of text I was talking about. If i have a newline here: <newline> 
Splunk sees it as a break in the log file and doesn't place the rest of this text in the longtext field,2013-11-23 13:43,2013-11-23 14:05

Any ideas?

0 Karma

mrsprague

If this is a DOS format text file, you should be able break on CR-LF line breaks with LINE_BREAKER (in props.conf)

[yoursourcetype]
LINE_BREAKER=(\r\n)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Following seems to be working for me, for the sample data you have given (to be added in props.conf)

[yoursourcetype]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
KV_MODE = none
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 50
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
pulldown_type = 1
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...