Getting Data In

License Failover Testing

kforr74
Explorer

We are experiencing an issue with our failover scenario from one pool of search heads to our standby pool of search heads. When we point the DNS of the license server to the standby IP, we are receiving the following error:

Unable to distribute to peer named XXXX at uri _____ because peer has status = "Duplicate Servername"

Would changing the URI in server.conf to "self" on both the Primary and Standby search heads rather than having the uri ______, resolve this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kforr74
Explorer

Thank you for the suggestion. We are really looking for a scenario where we can just point the license server to a different IP address and it would work the same as it did with the primary. We tested this on the hostname for the search head itself, and the failover worked fine. What's different about the license server where this won't work? What if we call the Master_URI in the server.conf for both the Primary and Standy search heads "self" instead of using the name of the license server? Any other suggestions?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Maybe the servers registered all as search-peers and license-slaves with the same identify.

To prevent the issue, use different servernames(server.conf) / GUID (instance.cfg)for all your servers (example indexer1 and indexer1failover)
And make then all license-slaves of your license-master.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...