Getting Data In

Large JSON events not showing field in "Interesting fields"

brent_weaver
Builder

Good morning all! I have a datasource that is valid JSON (I verified with python and jq). The entire event gets ingested, however a field that is at the tail end of the raw event does not show up in interesting fields. Splunk is parsing it correctly because if I look at the event, the key and values have the necessary color code indicating that they are KV.

I would say that my even has roughly 26k c chars in it and it is less than 1mb. I looked in limits.conf and found nothing valuable.

Any help is much appreciated

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, even if the _raw is not truncated, there is still a limit set in limits.conf for KV.

[kv]
maxchars = <integer>
* Truncate _raw to this size and then do auto KV.
* Default: 10240 characters

What is I believe is happening in your case is that the _raw is being truncated before auto KV, so those fields at the end are not being extracted,

Maybe you can increase that and try again?

Source: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Limitsconf#.5Bkv.5D

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, even if the _raw is not truncated, there is still a limit set in limits.conf for KV.

[kv]
maxchars = <integer>
* Truncate _raw to this size and then do auto KV.
* Default: 10240 characters

What is I believe is happening in your case is that the _raw is being truncated before auto KV, so those fields at the end are not being extracted,

Maybe you can increase that and try again?

Source: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Limitsconf#.5Bkv.5D

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

THANK YOU for the great response, this totally makes sense. What, if any, are the adverse affects of this change? I assume probably more stress on RAM?

Again, thank you for taking time to help me out here.

0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I do think you would see a memory impact with an increase in the maxchars, so you'd want to weigh that out and possibly do some testing if you have the capability to. Right now, I have a use case that has made it necessary for me to increase it to 40,000 characters, we're doing some testing right now to see what adverse effects this may cause.

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

Hey there, turns out that I need to also make my setting to around 40k. What have your findings been thus far? Seems like a huge jump going 4x the default value.

0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We ended up backing down to 20k after testing. We had a discussion with our users and determined that beyond 20k wasn't needed in their use case for field extraction. We haven't seen a performance impact in testing, however it's not real indicative of production load.

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

Awesome. I will follow suit in testing like you are. I have it set to 15360 (1.5x) the default vault and will keep an eye out but in my case we need it to be 40k+ to work.

0 Karma

rahulg
Explorer

hi i am facing same issue here, just clarification this kv setting needs to change on heavy forwarder or search heads

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you using Verbose Mode?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...