Getting Data In

Keeping sourcetypes / transforms / etc sycned between multiple indexers

Ricapar
Communicator

I'm putting together a large environment, so I'm hoping to get this sorted out before I dig myself into a hole.

I have multiple indexers (4 currently, more in the future), two search heads, and many forwarders.
One of those indexers functions as a deployment server.

The forwarders are all configured for auto load balancing between the four indexers (the list is maintained via DNS. Several A records with the same name and multiple IPs.)

As we bring in new application logs into the environment (and it is happening quite rapidly), I'm finding it isn't that simple to keep the props.conf, transforms.conf, etc all properly sycned up between the indexers. Same goes for indexes.conf.

What is the best/preferred way to maintain a uniform configuration between multiple indexers?

Also, I know that index-time field extractions must be on the indexers. That's obvious. For search-time extractions however - do those have to be on the search heads, or will the indexers report those fields back up to the search head while they perform the search?

I have a few thoughts/ideas. Not sure if they are good ones though.

• Define one of the indexers to be the "primary" indexer - the one where all the configs originate from. Set up an rsync job of $SPLUNK_HOME/etc from that one to all the other indexers.
  • Have all the other indexers connect to the deployment server (which is also an indexer). Symlink the relevant *.conf files from one indexer over into a directory in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps and have that be pushed to the other indexers.

Any better plans?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Ricapar
Communicator

Coming back to this old question:

We've since upgraded all of our indexers to Splunk 5, and have set up a clustered search environment. Since clustering requires all of the indexers to have all of their props/transforms/idnexes.conf in sync, the use of the cluster master solved this problem for us.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ricapar
Communicator

Coming back to this old question:

We've since upgraded all of our indexers to Splunk 5, and have set up a clustered search environment. Since clustering requires all of the indexers to have all of their props/transforms/idnexes.conf in sync, the use of the cluster master solved this problem for us.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...