Getting Data In

KV_MODE not extracting xml fields

willcwhite
Explorer

I have an app on a deployment server that runs a script and has splunk ingest the output which is valid xml. I've added a props.conf on the Search Heads with KV_MODE=xml but no fields are being extracted. When I run | xmlkv at the end of my query it extracts all xml fields. Is there anything I'm missing that would cause Splunk not to extract the xml fields automatically?

Thanks in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

wwhite12
Path Finder

This issue was that the app was not visible and in scope with the user. This issue was resolved by adding a metadata file in the SHC app as follows
shcluster/apps/appname/metadata/

File: default.meta

[]
export=system

View solution in original post

wwhite12
Path Finder

This issue was that the app was not visible and in scope with the user. This issue was resolved by adding a metadata file in the SHC app as follows
shcluster/apps/appname/metadata/

File: default.meta

[]
export=system

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults 
| eval _raw="<m:properties>
  <d:GenID m:type=\"Edm.String\">xxx</d:GenID>
  <d:PLANT_ID m:type=\"Edm.String\">xxx</d:PLANT_ID>
  <d:TOTAL_SD_LINES m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_SD_LINES>
  <d:TOTAL_SD_LINES_WO_DELV m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_SD_LINES_WO_DELV>
  <d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES>
  <d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES_WO_TO m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES_WO_TO>
  <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES>
  <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_CONFIRMED m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_CONFIRMED>
  <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_NOT_CONFIRMED m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_NOT_CONFIRMED>
</m:properties>
<m:properties>
  <d:GenID m:type=\"Edm.String\">xxx</d:GenID>
  <d:PLANT_ID m:type=\"Edm.String\">xxx</d:PLANT_ID>
  <d:TOTAL_SD_LINES m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_SD_LINES>
  <d:TOTAL_SD_LINES_WO_DELV m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_SD_LINES_WO_DELV>
  <d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES>
  <d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES_WO_TO m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES_WO_TO>
  <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES m:type=\"Edm.Double\">yyy</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES>
  <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_CONFIRMED m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xxx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_CONFIRMED>
  <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_NOT_CONFIRMED m:type=\"Edm.Double\">xx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_NOT_CONFIRMED>
</m:properties>" 
| rex mode=sed "s/(?ms)([\r\n\s]+)\<m/#<m/g" 
| makemv delim="#" _raw 
| stats count by _raw 
| xmlkv

For this result, props.conf is following:

[yoursourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n\s]+)\<m
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
disabled=false
KV_MODE=xml
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT
TRUNCATE=0

How about this?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Can you please provide raw data (mask any sensitive information) ? This answer might help you https://answers.splunk.com/answers/744449/how-to-parse-out-fields.html

0 Karma

willcwhite
Explorer
    <d:GenID m:type="Edm.String">xxx</d:GenID>
    <d:PLANT_ID m:type="Edm.String">xxx</d:PLANT_ID>
    <d:TOTAL_SD_LINES m:type="Edm.Double">xxx</d:TOTAL_SD_LINES>
    <d:TOTAL_SD_LINES_WO_DELV m:type="Edm.Double">xxx</d:TOTAL_SD_LINES_WO_DELV>
    <d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES m:type="Edm.Double">xxx</d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES>
    <d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES_WO_TO m:type="Edm.Double">xxx</d:TOTAL_DELV_LINES_WO_TO>
    <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES m:type="Edm.Double">xxx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES>
    <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_CONFIRMED m:type="Edm.Double">xxx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_CONFIRMED>
    <d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_NOT_CONFIRMED m:type="Edm.Double">xx</d:TOTAL_TO_LINES_NOT_CONFIRMED>
  </m:properties>
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Can you post props.conf?

0 Karma

willcwhite
Explorer

[mysourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=^\s+(<\w+:\w+>)
CHARSET=UTF-8
disabled=false
KV_MODE=xml
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT
TRUNCATE=10000

This is the same props I have on the deployment server as well as the search heads

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...