Getting Data In

Just installed SA-Eventgen and get the following error: Unable to initialize modular input "modinput_eventgen" defined inside the app "SA-Eventgen": Introspecting scheme=modinput_eventgen: script running failed (exited with code 1)

scaglietti

Unable to initialize modular input "modinput_eventgen" defined inside the app "SA-Eventgen": Introspecting scheme=modinput_eventgen: script running failed (exited with code 1)

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Khuliso
Loves-to-Learn

Getting the same error for days now, someone please help

0 Karma

mvohra_arcusdat
Explorer

I get this error when run on Splunk 8.0 (installed on Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../etc/apps/SA-Eventgen/bin/modinput_eventgen.py", line 15, in <module>
    from splunk_eventgen import eventgen_core  # noqa isort:skip
ImportError: No module named splunk_eventgen

This is a fresh Splunk install on a sandbox and nothing else is running/installed on the Splunk instance.

0 Karma

guythomasdavis
Explorer

Assuming you are on a Windows system here is what I had to do to get things working:

In the app directory for eventgen which on my system is c:\program\files\splunk\etc\apps\sa-eventgen I had to go into the bin directory and edit the modinput_eventgen.py file and comment out line 141.

if name == 'main':
#signal.signal(signal.SIGPIPE, handler)
worker = Eventgen()
worker.execute()

sys.exit(0)

The singal.SIGPIPE attr isn't valid on windows (assuming its fine in Linux installs)

I then had to restart Splunk and in Settings->Data Inputs enable the SA-Eventgen data input.

That's it. After that I made some dumb mistakes but it is working now. If you have any questions or other problems I've probably been through them all so would be glad to help...

On the plus side, I learned a lot about troubleshooting which I'm sure will serve me well in the future!

paullallen1

I'm running 7.1.1 and have exactly the same issue. So any fix would be appreciated?

0 Karma

guythomasdavis
Explorer

Hey how about some help with this... pretty annoying that this isn't working, when running splunk python agains modinput py file this is the result:

splunk cmd python ..\etc\apps\SA-Eventgen\bin\modinput_eventgen.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "..\etc\apps\SA-Eventgen\bin\modinput_eventgen.py", line 141, in
signal.signal(signal.SIGPIPE, handler)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SIGPIPE'

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...