Getting Data In

Json match `field.name` to `field.value` fields

oerd_rbal
Explorer

Hi all,

I have some office 365 json events that have an ExtendedProperties array field containing multiple json objects, as in the example below:

{ "ExtendedProperties" : [
        {   "Name" : Role.ObjectId ,
            "Value" : xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx5e10
        },
        {
            "Name" : Role.RoleTemplateId ,
            "Value" : xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx5e10
        },
        {   "Name" : Role.DisplayName,
            "Value" : Company Administrator
        },
        {   "Name" : Role.WellKnownObject,
            "Value" : TenantAdmins
        }
    ]
}

I am interested in filtering finding Value where Name=Role.DisplayName. It would all be a lot easier if there were a way to create new fields where Role.DisplayName = "Company Administrator".

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

jschroth
Engager

It's a bit odd, but I found splitting the values apart and putting them back together works:

eval names='ExtendedProperties{}.Name', vals='ExtendedProperties{}.Value' | eval temp=mvzip(names,vals) | mvexpand temp | rex field=temp "(?<name>[^,]+),(?<val>[^,]+)" | eval {name}=val | transaction Id

updated to add back the deleted terms in angle brackets. - dmj

View solution in original post

jschroth
Engager

It's a bit odd, but I found splitting the values apart and putting them back together works:

eval names='ExtendedProperties{}.Name', vals='ExtendedProperties{}.Value' | eval temp=mvzip(names,vals) | mvexpand temp | rex field=temp "(?<name>[^,]+),(?<val>[^,]+)" | eval {name}=val | transaction Id

updated to add back the deleted terms in angle brackets. - dmj

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I find it safer to use four or five exclamation points "!!!!" as my delimiter for mvzip, rather than a comma, since it almost never appears in my data and commas often do.

Your code would look something like this -

eval names='ExtendedProperties{}.Name', vals='ExtendedProperties{}.Value' | eval temp=mvzip(names,vals,"!!!!") | mvexpand temp | rex field=temp "(?<name>..*?)!!!!(?<val>.*)" | eval {name}=val | transaction Id

By the way, you have to mark your code as code before the first time you submit it, or the angle-brackets get deleted by the web interface. I've put the field names back into the regex.

oerd_rbal
Explorer

Thanks, man! Such a pity the angular brackets were removed by code formatting...

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

.... | eval {Name}=Value | search "Role.DisplayName"="Company Administrator"
0 Karma

oerd_rbal
Explorer

@sundareshr Name is actually contained in ExtendedProperties and | eval {ExtendedProperties.Name}=ExtendedProperties.Value ... doesn't create an Role.DisplayName field.
Is there a way to do this with foreach?

0 Karma

mattlorimor

@oerd_rbal - Did you ever get this to work? I'm working with almost an identical JSON structure. Nothing on this page has worked for me to automatically extract the fields.

0 Karma

oerd_rbal
Explorer

@mattlorimor No, I gave up altogether and changed my approach to the much less elegant one of extracting fields based on regexes... 😞

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try enclosing fieldnames within single-quotes. | eval {'ExtendedProperties.Name'}='ExtendedProperties.Value' | ...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...