Getting Data In

Json event breaking no longer working since forwarding method changed from using a universal forwarder to AWS Firehose

gary_richardson
Path Finder

Hello!

I have some json data being generated by a client-side tool:

{
    "name": "open_sockets",
    "hostIdentifier": "ip-172-30-1-242.ec2.internal",
    "calendarTime": "Tue May 24 10:37:31 2016 UTC",
    "unixTime": "1464086251",
    "columns": {
        "family": "2",
        "fd": "6",
        "local_address": "172.30.1.242",
        "local_port": "32886",
        "path": "",
        "pid": "547",
        "protocol": "17",
        "remote_address": "4.53.160.75",
        "remote_port": "123",
        "socket": "52263"
    },
    "action": "added"
}

When this data is dropped into a flat file on the client then picked up by the Splunk Universal Forwarder, the field extractions using the _json sourcetype work perfectly. I've since reconfigured the tool to push the data into Amazon S3 via Firehose, and the field extractions are no longer work using the _json sourcetype.

The data is unchanged. I've examined the raw logs in the S3 management console and they are the same structure as the previously indexed flat file with no additional data or formatting as far as I can tell.

I've tried a variety of regex in the BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE, BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE, MUST_BREAK_AFTER, no effect.

I currently have two near identical clients forwarding this information: one using the Splunk UF and one using AWS Firehose, both with the _json sourcetype, the first works fine, the second does not!

I am editing sourcetypes using the GUI; we are imminently moving to Splunk Cloud, and I am training myself to cope with no shell access!

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

gary_richardson
Path Finder

Solved it, with a little help from Splunk PS:

[osq]
LINE_BREAKER=(){\"name

And that works.

() Is a capture group which consumes nothing (otherwise Splunk will remove the "name" string)

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...