Getting Data In

Join a year and month to create a date

jkordis

Good morning!

I have a field for a year and a field for a month. Can I join these two together to create a date that I can then make a timechart based off of. I have a lot of machines I'm tracking an OS version for and want to display a chart mapping machines to dates. We have a custom format of operating system being '201804.1' for example and I've extracted 2018 as a year and 04 as a month and want to create a a visual based off of that.

I appreciate any help!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, it is very easy but you also need to convert to time_t (AKA epoch) integer so it would look like this

... | eval _time = <YourYearFieldHere> . "/" . <YourMonthFieldHere>
| eval _time strptime(_time, "%Y/%m")
| timechart ...
0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @jkordis,

You can use the strptime command :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions#strptime

... | eval n=strptime(yearField."-".monthField, "%Y-%m")

Or you can use strftime command right away without any extractions on 201804.1.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

chinmoya
Communicator

Yes, its possible.

All you need to do it create a new field that the combination of your year and month field.
Syntax - eval date_combine = year."-".month ( "-" is used as a delimiter.)
You can then use the new field in your chart.

Below is an example with the internal index
index=_internal | eval date_combine= date_hour."-".date_year | timechart count by date_combine

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...