Getting Data In

JSON event breaks not working - sometimes

Branden
Builder

I have a log file of properly formatted JSON events, but the event break is not working properly. Sometimes it separates the JSON into separate events, sometimes it does not. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this.

I tried the solution here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/80741/event-break-json.html but it did not work. I am unable to restart Splunk at this time, however, but my understanding is that I shouldn't need to. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Here's my props.conf entry:

[s-web]
KV_MODE = json
LINE_BREAKER = "(^){"
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
TRUNCATE = 0
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

Here's a sample event:

{"pid":17156,"hostname":"sub.hostname.com","name":"s-undefined","level":30,"time":1515143225539,"remoteAddr":"::ffff:99.99.99.99","remoteAddrs":[],"method":"GET","url":"/","sessionId":"abcd2b32-00e8-4e0b-97f6-23abcdef3233e","v":1}

Am I missing something here?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey @Branden

If you just care about breaking the event correctly then you could use the following

[s-web]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = \{\"pid\"

and thereafter restart splunkd
Let me know if this helps you!

0 Karma

Branden
Builder

I will need to schedule the restart of splunkd. I will let you know how it goes!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try with this (keep the rest of the settings)

LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(?=\{\s*\"pid\")
0 Karma

Branden
Builder

Unfortunately, that did not help.
Is it possible I simply need to restart Splunk after making the props.conf change?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes.. you do need a restart for that change to take effect.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...