Getting Data In

Issues with wildcard input stanza

wilcomply13
Explorer

I've been having issues with wildcarded input monitoring.  In an attempt to adjust for an issue with file path naming across a number of servers. 

My original/working stanza. Disregard ellipses, I've shortened the path for this posting:

[monitor://D:\Program Files\Microsoft\...\MessageTracking]

My adjusted/wildcarded stanzas that have not worked for input on any of our. Disregard ellipses, I've shortened the path for this posting to increase readability:

- [monitor://D:\*\Microsoft\...\MessageTracking]

- [monitor://D:\Prog*am Files\Microsoft\...\MessageTracking]

- [monitor://D:\*Files\Microsoft\...\MessageTracking]

I don't appear to receive an error message after this change, but logs completely drop off when wildcard is put into the deployed configuration.

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wilcomply13
Explorer

Unfortunately, I've no direct access to the endpoint. I've resolved the issue by putting in a secondary input stanza to account for the file path difference.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wilcomply13
Explorer

Unfortunately, I've no direct access to the endpoint. I've resolved the issue by putting in a secondary input stanza to account for the file path difference.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you run 

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk _internal call /services/admin/inputstatus/TailingProcessor:FileStatus

to check if it provides any hints as to why your wildcards don't match? Many moons ago, spaces in wild-carded directories on Windows caused issues, but those should be fixed by now.  I don't really see anything wrong with your config.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...