Getting Data In

Is there an easy way to get resource usage per Splunk process for a universal forwarder?

a212830
Champion

Hi,

Is there an easy way to get resource usage for a universal forwarder? I don't see anything in the distributed management console.

ecaepp
Explorer

I would recommend using the "Splunk Add-on for Unix" app. It has many scripted inputs that can be turned on via the inputs.conf to collect such performance and usage data. (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/833/#/overview)

I would also like to note if you are going to use this on many UFs it is recommended that you use a deployment server to mange the app.

0 Karma

mwalker_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can enable platform instrumentation which will start populating the _introspection index (disabled by default on UF) by following these steps: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.4/Troubleshooting/ConfigurePIF

sourcetype=splunk_resource_usage should give you some insights into what you're looking for.

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Most cheerful!

alt text

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I thought most folks do this by using things like the Nix and Win TAs to get process resource consumption in the same way they would for any process running on the host. (A la ps.sh and its Windows equivalent)

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

Thanks. I take it that means it's not built into introspection?

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Another approach (there might be more I'm sure).

If UNIX:

• Deploy app that runs top or similar command every X seconds => index => search and use multikv to parse

If Windows:

• Deploy app that runs powershell code (Get-Process, Get-Service, etc) every X seconds => index => search
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What do you mean? What would you like to see?

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

cpu and memory, mainly, per splunk process, if possible.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...