Getting Data In

Is there a way to use an external list file to whitelist or blacklist hosts in serverclass.conf?

Susannajuurinen
Explorer

Is there a way to use external lists with whitelist filtering? For example if I had systems A and B with several hosts, could I create a list like hosts.txt and then refer to that list and its content? Something like below:

whitelist.0 = hosts.txt systemB

hosts.txt
[systemA]
host1
host2

[systemB]
host3
host4

Thanks for any help!

0 Karma

regriffith
Path Finder

I use this for managing a large number of hosts. In one case I temporarily used it with up to a nine thousand host entries.

Entry in the serverclass.conf

[serverClass:specific_host]
whitelist.from_pathname = etc/system/local/host.txt
restartSplunkd = 1

lguinn2
Legend

AFAIK, you can't do that for serverclass.conf

0 Karma

Susannajuurinen
Explorer

Thanks Lisa,

Do you know if that kind of a feature is added to Splunk in the future? It would make managing the serverclass.conf (and other confs too) a lot more easier if hosts could be centrally grouped.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...