Getting Data In

Is there a default retention period for an index residing in a thawed path and how is it applied?

splunker12er
Motivator

After I restore the archived data in thawed path and rebuild the index - Splunk recognizes the data.

What is the life-time of the data residing in the thawed path? Is there any default retention period for this?

By default splunk data rotation (hotdb->warmdb->colddb(deleted after 6 years))
Now, I place the buckets inside a thawed path and rebuilt it. How is that default policy is applied here?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the bucket was frozen due to age, retention would immediately re-freeze it. If it was frozen due to index size, that would also immediately re-freeze it.

As a result, thawed buckets are outside the scope of both retention time and size restrictions for that index, the Splunk admins handle these themselves.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...