Getting Data In

Is there a config available that would push out the same format as Snare from a Heavy Forwarder?

CletisNPT
Explorer

Is there a config available that would push out the same format as Snare from a Heavy Forwarder? i.e. UniversalForwarder->HeavyForwarder->ForkTo:

1. Native windows log gets pushed to the indexer in it's original format from the Universal Forwarder.
  2. A copy has the Snare transform applied and pushed out to a third party syslog server.
0 Karma

CletisNPT
Explorer

I'm sure there's a way to do it with the transforms and SEDCMD. Was just curious if anyone had accomplished it yet.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You cant reformat the data which would be sent over a raw socket with a transform - it would always be sent as a 'Splunk Formatted' message, but with a little bit of netcat/grep/awk/sed fun you could probably get the data into any format you like - but probably a PITA!

I have just done a very quick google, and it seems that snare can accept syslog messages so this seems like the way to go.

in your outputs/conf

[syslog]
defaultGroup=syslogGroup

[syslog:syslogGroup]
server = <your syslog server>:514

I think thats all it takes!

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Did this help you? If you found it useful, please be sure to accept/upvote any posts which helped, as it provides useful feedback for future viewers of your question. Good luck!

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You cant reformat the data, however you can send a copy of the raw event via a TCP socket, or alternatively as Syslog.
I am not familiar with Snare, but it sounds like the second option would be most appropriate for you.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Forwarding/Forwarddatatothird-partysystemsd

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...