Getting Data In

Is there a better way to convert the age output into a more readable format (i.e. days)?

kppradhan

Hello,

I'm attempting to track AWS related password events in my Splunk.

I am sifting through my index and receiving the data I need -- however I am having an issue with converting the "age" from a unix based notation.

I am using the following to determine the age of passwords:

| eval age =_time   

My output is as follows:

PasswordLastUsed                                                                            age
018448995162    user    2020-02-14T20:49:08+00:00   1585319203
018448995162    user    2020-02-13T16:59:30+00:00   1585319203

Is there a better way to convert the age output into a more readable format (i.e. days)?

Thanks,

• Kiran
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | eval age = now() - _time
| fieldformat age = tostring(age, "duration")
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The _time field is the date and time when the event occurred. It's probably not the best choice for password age.

That said, use the strftime function to make epochs readable.

... | eval age = strftime(_time, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:S")

You can use the convert command, instead.

... | convert timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:S" ctime(_time) as age
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...