Getting Data In

Is there a best practice for using a time dimension with _metrics Data?

jordanking1992
Path Finder

Hello,

Working with a team that is sending some custom paramters via metrics data. They are trying to include a dimension that contains a data, but Splunk is not accepting of the date.

release:1,component:test,team:TestTeam,repo_branch:master,version:3,eventTimestamp:2022-03-22T14:46:41.048881800

My guess is that Splunk doesn't like the colon's in the timestamp but a bit unsure. The team wants to be able to send time within the metrics for later analysis using eval commands after indexing.

Is there a best practice for including a time dimension/value within metrics data? (i.e epoch/UNIX time)

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to configure the timestamp recognition for your sourcetype to match the format used in your messages

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Data/Configuretimestamprecognition 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...