Getting Data In

Is my current architectural design a legitimate deployment for a small Splunk Enterprise infrastructure?

horsefez
Motivator

Hi,

My company is deciding to use Splunk in a Small Enterprise Deployment.
I already read a bit about scaling, the infrastructure design, and the amount of components.

I'm assigned the task to think about and design our deployment.
So.... I want to ask if my thoughts so far make any sense.

My plan is to build an infrastructure that looks like the attached picture.
alt text

I would use a Heavy Forwarder in the deployment to filter data that is coming into the deployment before it gets indexed. I might not need this feature today, but maybe later.

Is this a legit deployment?
Is it ok if I configure the Universal Forwarders to send data to the HF first?

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

Your design looks all right to me but there are lots of other things you need to consider, such as:

• Number of final users (this will increase the load on search heads and therefore indexers)
  • Data you are ingesting every day
  • Resiliency: if your SH is down you are blind so what's your DR plan here? Same goes for the HF
  • Physical location of your data
  • etc

If your budget is limited and assuming you are indexing less than 200GB/day I would do the following:

• Get rid of the HF. Your indexers can do the filtering too and they also provide resiliency. Your HF is a unique point of failure in your diagram
  • Go for a virtual Search Head (make sure you allocate enough CPU cores and memory) and use your virtual infrastructure to provide backup and DR for this component

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
J

View solution in original post

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

Your design looks all right to me but there are lots of other things you need to consider, such as:

• Number of final users (this will increase the load on search heads and therefore indexers)
  • Data you are ingesting every day
  • Resiliency: if your SH is down you are blind so what's your DR plan here? Same goes for the HF
  • Physical location of your data
  • etc

If your budget is limited and assuming you are indexing less than 200GB/day I would do the following:

• Get rid of the HF. Your indexers can do the filtering too and they also provide resiliency. Your HF is a unique point of failure in your diagram
  • Go for a virtual Search Head (make sure you allocate enough CPU cores and memory) and use your virtual infrastructure to provide backup and DR for this component

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
J

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Is it a viable strategy to buy an ESX-Server and run all the components on a virtual server infrastructure?

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

Other concepts you might want to read about:

• search head clustering
  • multisite indexer clustering
  • deployment server

This is all documented here, here and here.

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Thank you all! 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...