Getting Data In

Is it possible to use Paessler PRTG Modular input with indexer cluster?

max8006
Explorer

Hi,

I have a question if there is a possibility to use the APP Paessler PRTG Modular Input in a distributed indexer scenario. I can install the app on the SH, but how do I create the reference to the indexer cluster. I can only select the local index on the SH. Does that work with a heavy forwarder maybe? 

Thanks,

max

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By definition, the HF sends everything it gets to the indexers so there's no need to worry about that.

You'll be able to select the index if they are defined on the HF.  Do that by copying the app that defines your indexes (you DO use an app, right?) from an indexer to the HF.  You also can edit the PRTG app's config file to specify the index.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Installing a modular input on indexers can lead to duplicate data.  Install it on a single SH (not a SHC) or a HF.

The app used to define indexes on your indexers should also be installed on your SHs and HFs.  This ensures the UI knows about all indexes.

---

max8006
Explorer

The problem is that the PRTG APP makes RESTAPI calls to get the data for indexing. I don't understand how this is supposed to work on the indexer itself. There must be some way for a HF to make these calls and send the information to the indexers. In the app, I can't select the indexes that are defined on the standalone indexers.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By definition, the HF sends everything it gets to the indexers so there's no need to worry about that.

You'll be able to select the index if they are defined on the HF.  Do that by copying the app that defines your indexes (you DO use an app, right?) from an indexer to the HF.  You also can edit the PRTG app's config file to specify the index.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...