Getting Data In

Is it possible to prioritize what data is forwarded from a heavy forwarder? (ex: security data first, then non-security data)

dkeck
Influencer

Hi everybody,

I'm new in Splunk, so be gentle, please.

So that's the scenario:

I have a Splunk Heavy forwarder, and I want to know if it is possible to prioritize the data which is forwarded to the indexer(s)?

For example: I have security relevant log data and I want this data to be forwarded first, every time. So that non-security relevant data is held back until the security relevant data is indexed.

Is that possible and how?

If possible, looking for solutions which are built-in to out-of-box Splunk, add-ons etc. I can't use another software for it since the system Splunk is running on is already pretty limited.

Thank you

David

1 Solution

ryandg
Communicator

The only answer I have is one that you won't really benefit from. We had Splunk Pro Services visit us and one of the questions that came up was this exact question. Splunk does not have any prioritization ability according to them, hopefully someone will correct me if this was wrong but that is what we were told.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ryandg
Communicator

The only answer I have is one that you won't really benefit from. We had Splunk Pro Services visit us and one of the questions that came up was this exact question. Splunk does not have any prioritization ability according to them, hopefully someone will correct me if this was wrong but that is what we were told.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Nobody has an answer? too bad.

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What problems are you experiencing that you feel needs to be solved with prioritization of certain logs/data over other logs/data? Are you having problems out of your indexer, since it's already at the edge of overloaded?

But a thought, not perfect but at least something - if you ran two copies of Splunk as forwarders, you could prioritize the processes themselves, cranking one way down to "idle" time processing and the other leaving at normal. That could make a minor change in how each would behave.

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, allow me to chime in. The problem is that our bandwidth is very limited (also entirely unavailable for extended time periods), thus we'd like to be able to send the priority data first as soon as we have a (stable) connection. Only after that has been sent should the less important data be forwarded.
We'll be using indexer acknowledgement, so this could also be applied at the forwarding buffer level: we'd like to keep more of the important data than of the less important data queued on the forwarder, and if needed we'd also replace the queued unimportant data with the important data (we are really limited in this environment, otherwise we'd simply keep everything on the HF).

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks, that explanation of why you need it will probably help folks trying to answer this!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...