Getting Data In

Is it possible to prevent indexing part of a line in a log file?

machiel
Path Finder

I know it is possible to skip lines in an input, however, I have the case where I want to skip part of a line.

For example, I have an inputs.conf stanza like the following:

[monitor://C:\temp\example.log]

And I have the following log file, example.log:

time/fieldb/fieldc 13:50,200,300
time/fieldb/fieldc 14:00,210,310
time/fieldb/fieldc 14:10,223,305
time/fieldb/fieldc 14:20,215,307

I want to only index the part after the space, due to having the index size as small as possible.
Is it possible to somehow skip the "time/fieldb/fieldc"-part from being indexed?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It is possible to remove/replace certain part of the data before it's indexed. It's generally used for masking of sensitive data. I would throw a caution before going into details that it add overhead to indexer/heavy forwarder as Splunk now has to to additional processing of each event.

You can use SEDCMD script in props.conf OR add a transforms.conf to achieve the same. See this for more details on data masking
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/Data/Anonymizedata

0 Karma

machiel
Path Finder

Do you have an example explaining how to use the SEDCMD here? That would help me a lot.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

In your props.conf on INdexer/Heavy Forwarder (if any), add this to your sourcetype.

props.conf (on Indexer/Heavy Forwarder)

[YourSourceType]
..other settings..
SEDCMD-removeheader = s/^(\S+\s+)(.*)/\2/g
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...