Getting Data In

Is it possible to force data to freeze?

tsheets13
Communicator

We, up to now, have never frozen data. However, we have a requirement now to freeze some data for years.

I need to show in a development environment how this works.

I have created a new index. Defined coldToFrozenDir and set frozenTimePeriodInSecs to 600 (10 mins).

I have created input for a text file and filled it with about 100k lines of data.

The data is being successfully indexed

The directory was created, but there is no frozen data.

I suspect it's because the data is still hot.

Is there a way to force data through the bucket cycle so I can see it show up frozen?

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

tried your settings on my laptop, and wrote a scheduled search that runs every 5 minutes and does that:
index = _internal | head 1000 | collect index=timtest"

try and run this search to see if its working:
index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=BucketMover freeze

works fine on my end
see screenshots:
alt text

alt text

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

did you try restarting splunk? i think restarting splunk will force the bucket to roll from hot? So you could at least test that theory and/or verify if the bucket rolls to warm/cold...

0 Karma

tsheets13
Communicator

That's all it took. Restart did the trick. Interesting that the first restart created the frozendb path, but it required a second for the data to actually start freezing.

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

i wonder if the bucket rolls when splunk is stopping and your setting took effect as splunk was starting. So that bucket had rolled off before it knew about the directory?

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

@tsheets13
If you found a solution, kindly mark the question as answered so other will know what worked for you, also up-vote any helpful comments

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

please share your indexes.conf. according to your description, it supposed to work fine. data will freeze regardless bucket status of time or size thresholds are met

0 Karma

tsheets13
Communicator

[timtest]
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/timtest/colddb
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/timtest/db
maxHotSpanSecs=900
coldToFrozenDir=$SPLUNK_DB/timtest/deeperpath/frozendb
frozenTimePeriodInSecs=600
maxTotalDataSizeMB = 512000
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/timtest/thaweddb

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...