Getting Data In

Is it best practice to use a Deployment Server to deploy configurations to non-clustered search peers (indexers)?

BlueSocket
Communicator

Dear All,

I have a Search Head and Two non-clustered indexers (search peers) and I am architecting the system to include a Deployment Server and several Forwarders.

I know that you must not use Deployment Server to deploy apps and configurations to clustered indexers (that is what the indexer cluster master is for), but what about non-clustered indexers (search peers)? Is it Best Practice to use the Deployment Server to deploy configurations to my non-clustered indexers or not?

Thanks in advance.

BlueSocket

0 Karma
1 Solution

Jeremiah
Motivator

Yes, for non-clustered search heads and indexers, use the deployment server to manage your configurations. You can also use a CM tool (like puppet or chef) if you are using them in your environment. We have used the deployment server to manage our non-clustered Splunk servers for several years.

However, you may want to consider clustering your indexers, even if you are not going to take advantage of data replication. This document discusses the pros and cons:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Indexer/Clustersinscaledoutdeployments

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Jeremiah
Motivator

Yes, for non-clustered search heads and indexers, use the deployment server to manage your configurations. You can also use a CM tool (like puppet or chef) if you are using them in your environment. We have used the deployment server to manage our non-clustered Splunk servers for several years.

However, you may want to consider clustering your indexers, even if you are not going to take advantage of data replication. This document discusses the pros and cons:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Indexer/Clustersinscaledoutdeployments

0 Karma

BlueSocket
Communicator

Thank you very much for the responses. The indexers are geographically diverse and I think that the replication might cause performance issues.

Thanks, anyway!

0 Karma

jchampagne_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, if you're not using index clustering, it would be appropriate to use the Deployment Server to manage your configurations between two Indexers and a Search Head.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...