Getting Data In

Is it a valid configuration to have indexers on different IP subnets/vlans for a single site in a multisite cluster?

kmarciniak
Path Finder

We have nine sites in a multi-site cluster with indexers at each site ranging from three to 15 servers. Each site's indexers are all on the same vlan and ip subnet for for their region. I have a need to expand one of the sites with more indexers but the vlan has run out of IP addresses. Is it possible to just create a new vlan to use a different IP subnet range and add these new indexers to the previously configured site? For example site2's indexers are in vlan 2 on ip subnet range 10.1.1.0/24. Can I add 6 new indexers to site2 with those new servers in vlan 3 on ip subnet range 11.1.1.0/24?

I looked over the documentation and didn't see a requirement indexers in a site for a multi-site cluster need to all be on the same vlan/ip subnet range but wanted to check if this is a legit configuration from real users in the community. Any pro's and con's? We currently have two independent search heads but are going to a search head cluster later this year.

thank you

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You don't have to have indexers on the same vlan, or subnet. Its totally fine to have them on different subnets.

The only requirement is that they can communicate on the various management, replication and s2s ports

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...