Getting Data In

Instrumenting metrics in a C++ application

MisterBoy
Engager

Hi, I'm brand new to Splunk coming from a background using Prometheus metrics.

I've been reading through Splunk docs but I'm struggling to get some of the basics down. I was looking at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/Metrics/GetMetricsInOther which talks about HTTP/JSON but is this saying my application would offer an HTTP endpoint for polling/pulling, or my application needs to call an endpoint on the Splunk server?

I've always worked using the poll paradigm before and one thing I can't seem to find are examples of how to instrument metrics in my own code. In particular, 90% of our system (which comprises dozens of modules) is written in C++ and I would really love to see a code example of instrumenting and exposing a metric (e.g. number of calls to MyMethod() in C++, for consumption by Splunk Enterprise.

Many thanks for any help.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your application needs to send data to an HTTP endpoint on a Splunk server.

How to instrument your code perhaps is a better question for StackOverflow. One approach, however, is to call a function whenever something you want to measure happens. That function will increment the appropriate static variable. A separate thread initiates a timer and, when the timer pops, collects the measurement variables into a JSON string, sends it to Splunk, then resets the variables. Implementation details are left as an exercise for the reader.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

MisterBoy
Engager

Thanks @richgalloway . Does Splunk provide any libraries for widely used languages? Measurement code needs to be very performant and thread-safe so this is not a trivial task, especially if either Splunk or the community has already created such things that are tried and tested.

And Splunk is exclusively a push-based metrics store, just to be absolutely double-sure on that?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk provides a few SDKs: Java, Python, and C#, if memory serves.  C++ is not on the list.

Splunk is exclusively push-based, with a few exceptions that don't apply here (like querying an SQL database).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...