Getting Data In

Installing universal forwarders with Splunk 4.2.1 build 98164

ride76
Explorer

Hello, our indexers are currently running version 4.2.1 (98164). We are looking to deploy universal forwarders to our Windows servers. Can we install the latest universal forwarders? Or should we stick with version 4.2.1 (98164) when installing the fowarders? Not sure if there is a capatibility issue and wanted to check.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You sometimes cannot run a version of the forwarder that is newer than the indexer. In your case, the documentation indicates that you could update to the newest version of the forwarder (4.2.5) and have it sending data to an indexer version 4.2.1. I would, however, test this on a limited scale first.

However, you can run a version of the indexer (eg, 4.2.5) that is newer than the forwarder (eg, 4.1). This allows folks to update/upgrade their indexers first and then update the forwarders in a phased approach. This is very common.

The official documentation for this is
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.1/Deploy/Enableareceiver

Note that I am showing the full URL here, because the Splunk version is embedded in the URL. So check the Version selector in the upper right of the documentation page, to be sure that you are looking at the version of the docs that matches your Splunk! And always check the docs!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...