Getting Data In

Installed Universal Forwader 7.1 - splunk showing “No users exist. Please set up a user.”

sat94541
Communicator

We noticed for newly install splunk Universal forwarder 7.1 we are unable to connect as user admin, and splunk was showing error “No users exist. Please set up a user.”

rbal_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Starting Splunk Version 7.1 splunk has made changes to way the default admin account is created. Once of the key change is when you When you start the forwarder for the first time under most conditions, it prompts you to create an admin password. Like

This appears to be your first time running this version of Splunk.

An Admin password must be set before installation proceeds.
Password must contain at least:
* 8 total printable ASCII character(s).
Please enter a new password:

See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Security/Secureyouradminaccount in Securing Splunk for additional information about creating a secure password.

Also refer : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/7.1.1/Forwarder/InstallaWindowsuniversalforwarderfrom...

When you install the universal forwarder, you must create a password for the Splunk admin user. The installer does not create a password for the user. Think of a password and be ready to supply it when you perform the installation. If you do not supply a password during a silent installation, the universal forwarder can install without any users defined, which prevents login. You must then create a user-seed.conf file to fix the problem and restart the forwarder.

jbsplunk1976

Same for me, use the --seed-passwd and it says no user exists (should be the default password for admin set that way)

0 Karma

swelljoe

This doesn't work for me. I used the splunk start --accept-license --answer-yes --no-prompt --seed-passwd <your password> example and got no errors, but I still get No users exist. Please set up a user. message when trying to install apps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...