Getting Data In

Do I need to uninstall Splunk in windows(.exe) file in order to install through Linux?

Atchyuth_P
Path Finder

Hi Everyone,

I am using Splunk enterprise MSI file in my own windows laptop. So for practice i would like to install Splunk in Linux environment in same machine.

As we know we can use putty or third party tools to run Linux in windows at that point of time we need to install Splunk again. Is it possible?

Or

Do I need to uninstall Splunk in windows(.exe) file in order to install through Linux?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

achikeho

I just downloaded Splunk....I am looking for the installation file with .msi extension so I can install it   but I cant find it....Dont know how to install it. Can somebody pls help me? my system runs windows 10 pro and has ubuntu 2.4 hyper-v in it too....pls help me

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What did you download if not the .msi file?  You can get the MSI file from splunk.com.  Just click on Free Splunk then click the "Download Free 60-day Trial" link under "Splunk Enterprise".  Then you'll see the download button for the installer.  If you see a .zip file available for download DO NOT use it.

---
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Atchyuth_P,

to install Splunk on a Unix system, you need a Unix System, even if on a VM.

In other words, you can run on a Windows system a virtual machine (using VM-Ware or othes) with a Linux operative system.

Then, you can access this Linux system by VM console or Putty.

Anyway, the Splunk installation is very easy also on Linux systems: instead to run the msi file, you have to upload the installation file in the linux system and run thee commands:

rpm -i splunk.... 
cd /opt/splunk/bin
./splunk start --accept-license

For more infos, you can see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.2/Installation/InstallonLinux

Ciao.

Giuseppe

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to install another instance of Splunk in a pseudo-Linux environment using a .tgz file, but I doubt the .rpm would work.  In either case, it's unlikely the program will run.

Can you stand up an AWS Linux instance to practice on?

---

Atchyuth_P
Path Finder

Thank you @richgalloway  @gcusello I have tried with VM ware it worked

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...