Getting Data In

Indexing logs to remote server

eippops

I have installed 1 forwarder on my linux machine-1 and another on windows apache machine-2. The splunk has been installed on another windows machine-3. i was able to enable the receiving and am able to view forwader in splunk.
Now i need to monitor my apache logs from machine-1 and application logs from machine-2 from the remote machine-3 where splunk is installed. I have read the documentations, but it didnt helped me much.
What entry need to be made in outputs.conf on forwader and inputs.conf on splunk for this requirement.

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

This is a general guideline of where the different conf files should live. If you need more details I suggest you re-read the documentation with this guideline in mind. Good luck.

inputs.conf needs to be defined on both the forwarders and the indexers.

• On the forwarders it needs to define what you are monitoring and what index to write to
  • On the indexer it needs to define the port and such that it needs to listen at

outputs.conf needs to be defined on the forwarders

• It needs to define what indexer it will write to

props.conf needs to be defined on the indexer

• It needs to define how to parse the data by sourcetype that it receives

indexes.conf needs to be defined on the indexer

• It needs to define the basic information for where the data should be stored
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...