Getting Data In

How to index big zip files?

dillencehsu
Path Finder

I have few zip file (after extend is thound of csv files) in a folder, each zip file size is over 1GB.

I use monitor stanza monitor this folder but Splunk did not index these zip file.

Splunk 7.3.3 Standalone

[monitor://D:\zipfolder]

index =my_index

sourcetype = my_sourcetype

crcSalt = <SOURCE>

Any suggests ?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unzip the files.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk doesn't index the compressed files directly. It has to uncompress them into a temporary directory first.

That's probably where it is failing (do you have enough space for uncompression? Text files typically compress quite well, so it's not uncommon to need about ten times as much free space as the archive size for unpacking the archive).

To make sure your ingestion is going properly, just uncompress the files on your own before ingestion.

vinoth_raj
Path Finder

Guys, any thoughts about this?

0 Karma

dillencehsu
Path Finder

Unzip these files or use batch mode (batch://.../*.zip) to input these zip files.

If you have a lot of mount zip files, write a shell scrip to unzip these zip files.  

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unzip the files.

---

dillencehsu
Path Finder

Yes. Finally, I use shell script unzip thousands of zip files.

I want to know what happened on Splunk.

ArchiveProcess  can not unzip big zip file or unzip for big zip file is take a long time, and Splunk skip it ?
It have any limit for zip file when indexing ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know why Splunk wouldn't read the zip files.  Perhaps, as you suggest, they're too big.  Is there anything in the logs about it?

---

dillencehsu
Path Finder

The same logs with each zip file.

12-15-2020 14:17:28.450 +0900 INFO ArchiveProcessor - Handling file=D:\logfile.zip
12-15-2020 14:17:28.450 +0900 INFO ArchiveProcessor - reading path=D:\logfile.zip (seek=0 len=1153047505)
12-15-2020 14:17:59.761 +0900 INFO ArchiveProcessor - Finished processing file 'D:\logfile.zip', removing from stats

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...