Getting Data In

Indexing CSV file that changes daily

dchodur
Path Finder

I have been looking all over answers and trying various things and not getting the to bottom of this issue.
I have a CSV that is generated by a backup reporting tool. One of the files is failed backups. Data can look like this, with obvious date changes each day:

Started,Client,Server,Domain Name,Media Server,Group,Schedule,Job,Status,Error Code,Error Code Summary,Status Code,Status Code Summary,Level,Size Scanned (MB),Size (MB),Files,Num Files Not Backed Up,Queued,Finished,Duration (second),Throughput (MB/sec),Retention (week),Expires,Backup Application,Size Offset (B),Size Scanned Offset (B),Size Transferred (MB),Size Transferred Offset (B),Effective Path,Plugin Name,Bytes Modified Sent (B),Bytes Modified Not Sent (B)
8/4/14 6:00 PM,sqlreport01.rainhail.com,avamar.rainhail.com,/database,avamar.rainhail.com,Database MSSQL File System Windows 2003,6pm Start 11 Hour Window,Windows File System-ALL,failed,"10,002",Command failed: Invalid command line flags,"30,999",Activity failed - client error(s).,Full,0,0,0,0,8/4/14 6:00 PM,8/4/14 6:00 PM,1 second,0,1 week 6 days,8/18/14 6:00 PM,avamar,0,0,0,0,/Windows MSSQL File System 2003,Windows File System,0,0

Each day the file is updated with the current failed jobs. Splunk will not index the file without restarting the SplunkUF service. I have tried adjusting the CRC length and salt and does not seem to make a difference. Also adjusted the check method to be modtime, no difference.

What is the best way to make splunk index this file each time it changes regardless of the content in it.

Here is the input.conf on UF:

[monitor://c:\rhllcprocs\clientsfailedbackups.csv]
disabled = false
followtail= 0
sourcetype = CSVfileDPAFailedBackups
index = monitorit

Here is the props.conf on UF:

[CSVfileDPAFailedBackups]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=CSV
FIELD_DELIMITER=,
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS="Start Time"
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER=1

[source::c:\\rhllcprocs\\clientsfailedbackups.csv]
CHECK_METHOD = modtime

Splunk log around file change:

08-05-2014 07:30:01.321 -0500 INFO  WatchedFile - Will begin reading at offset=0 for file='c:\rhllcprocs\clientsfailedbackups.csv'.
08-05-2014 07:30:01.322 -0500 INFO  WatchedFile - Resetting fd to re-extract header.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

dchodur
Path Finder

I think the initCRCLength would have worked all along but I finally discovered some other props.conf settings in one of the files on my indexer that was trumping my configs. I think this has been my issue all along. I also set this data to come in not a CSV file and dropped the heading and added my own field extractions. I have had various issues in the past with CSV files themselves and like to do this to just have the raw comma separated data without the header and set the field extractions myself. Doing this removes the long headers which was surely running into the CRC length. Had I done nothing and not had the extra conflicting configs, the CRC length would probably have fixed it. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dchodur
Path Finder

I think the initCRCLength would have worked all along but I finally discovered some other props.conf settings in one of the files on my indexer that was trumping my configs. I think this has been my issue all along. I also set this data to come in not a CSV file and dropped the heading and added my own field extractions. I have had various issues in the past with CSV files themselves and like to do this to just have the raw comma separated data without the header and set the field extractions myself. Doing this removes the long headers which was surely running into the CRC length. Had I done nothing and not had the extra conflicting configs, the CRC length would probably have fixed it. Thanks.

0 Karma

derekarnold
Communicator

Yes initCrcLength is the correct answer:

initCrcLength =
* This setting adjusts how much of a file Splunk reads before trying to identify whether it is a file that has
already been seen. You may want to adjust this if you have many files with common headers (comment headers,
long CSV headers, etc) and recurring filenames.
* CAUTION: Improper use of this setting will cause data to be reindexed. You may wish to consult with Splunk
Support before adjusting this value - the default is fine for most installations.
* Defaults to 256 (bytes).
* Must be in the range 256-1048576.

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try setting initCrcLength to some higher values like 500 in inputs.conf.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...