Getting Data In

I can not set TIME_FORMAT for event in props.conf

noukash
Explorer

Hello, splunk community.
I am new to splunk and already reviewed ton of info on the topic but I still can't get why I can't get splunk light to read _time from my event.
The event sent looks like this
{"event": {
"attributed_touch_type": "",
"attributed_touch_time": "",
"event_time": "2019-08-22 10:10:10",
"event_name": "install",
"event_value": "",
"event_revenue": "",
}}
I configure my props.conf file here
... /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/
with the following params
[appsflyer]
ATETIME_CONFIG = NONE
TIME_PREFIX = \"event_time\" :\"
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 9999
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S

I reset server several times and made sure data was indexed after reset. Any idea why splunk would not recognize my event_time for _time? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If your settings are correct, it must be something else. If you are doing a sourcetype override/overwrite, you must use the ORIGINAL value, NOT the new value. You must deploy your settings to the first full instance(s) of Splunk that handle the events (usually either the HF tier if you use one, or else your Indexer tier), restart all Splunk instances there, send in new events (old events will stay broken), then test using _index_earliest=-5m to be absolutely certain that you are only examining the newly indexed events.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi noukash,
wher do you created this props.conf file?
You have to put it in the Indexer not in the Forwarder.

In addition it isn't a best practice to put it in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/ but it's better to put it in a dedicated App.

Bye.
Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...