Getting Data In

How to write splunk output in csv file using python code?

harshal_chakran
Builder

Hi,

I have created an application using Django Binding, where I have a code in Python in which wrote a search query whose output am willing to save in csv file.
Following is my code:

kwargs_normalsearch = {"exec_mode": "normal"}

searchquery_normal = 'search * |search sourcetype.....'

job = service.jobs.create(searchquery_normal, **kwargs_normalsearch)

for result in results.ResultsReader(job.results()):

c = csv.writer(open("C:/NewFile.csv", "wb"))

c.writerow([result])

When I open the NewFile, it shows output as :

OrderedDict([('Parameter', '221')])

what I want is to show,'Parameter ' as heading and '221' as row value in csv file. Can I even fetch this values from it in order to use it for another purpose.
Please Help...!!!

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Here is a simple code example , expand on it as necessary , but it returns the search results in CSV format and dumps to a file.

args = {'host':'somehost','port':8089,'username':'admin','password':'foobar'}
service = Service(**args)
service.login()   

job = service.jobs.create('search index=_internal | head 5', **{"exec_mode": "blocking"})
search_results = job.results(**{"output_mode": "csv"})

f = open("/Users/scoobydoo/NewFile.csv", 'w')

f.write(search_results.read())

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Here is a simple code example , expand on it as necessary , but it returns the search results in CSV format and dumps to a file.

args = {'host':'somehost','port':8089,'username':'admin','password':'foobar'}
service = Service(**args)
service.login()   

job = service.jobs.create('search index=_internal | head 5', **{"exec_mode": "blocking"})
search_results = job.results(**{"output_mode": "csv"})

f = open("/Users/scoobydoo/NewFile.csv", 'w')

f.write(search_results.read())

chi
Observer

I have executed the python query have the results.

The binding response reader results are in bytes and getting the TypeError while writing to CSV

Requesting help to export the search results to a CSV file.

Quick response is highly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Karma

raghav130593
Explorer

I had a question regarding output_mode for export search. In the export search, there's no search job created and the results are streamed. I wasn't able to find anything conclusive regarding setting output_mode of an export search to 'CSV'. I wanted to know how is it done?

0 Karma

harshal_chakran
Builder

Thanks Damien,

There is one more question in my mind.Is it possible that I can extract the values from search result , assign it to different variables and perform some arithmetic operations on it before saving it in csv file.??

0 Karma

martindurant

How about numpy.loadtxt(search_results, delimiter=',') ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...