Getting Data In

How to use sourcetype to route data from a heavy forwarder to a specific index?

ebailey
Communicator

I am trying to route data from a heavy forwarder to a specific index. I would prefer the rule be run on the indexers for a more scale-able solution. I using the sourcetype to route the data but this is not working. Any ideas are much appreciated.

props.conf

[cisco:asa]
TRANSFORMS-force-sourcetype_for_cisco_devices = route_to_firewall_index

transforms.conf

[route_to_firewall_index]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = (%ASA)
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = net_firewall

Thanks!

1 Solution

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Splunk for Cisco ASA TA (http://apps.splunk.com/app/1620/) app expects the data to come in over the wire, either on TCP or UDP, and uses transform rules in props.conf to alter the sourcetype. This means that your rule to change the destination index has to fire on the udp:514 (or tcp:514) sourcetype of the original ingest. To change the destination index, you'll have to add another transform, after the sourcetype change (see below) and key that from the origin sourcetype.

I do this traditionally by first setting my transform to detect the base sourcetype string like this:

TRANSFORMS-0_sourcetype = force_sourcetype_for_cisco_asa

Then, choosing the name of the RHS of my TRANSFORMS keyword to sort lexically after the sourcetype rule, I do something like this:

TRANSFORMS-1_index = my_transform_force_index_for_asa

transforms.conf:

[my_transform_force_index_for_asa]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = cisco:asa
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = firewall

Takeaway: You get one pass, top to bottom, left to right, of the indexing rules for your initial sourcetype upon contact with Splunk. Having a rule to first set sourcetype from udp:514 -> cisco:asa does not fire index-time rules for the new sourcetype. Search-time parsing properties would in fact be used, however.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...