Getting Data In

How to use a Splunk forwarder directory name (segment) as an event tag?

lsparrow

Hello!

I was wondering how to use a directory name (segment) as an event tag. For example:

C:\bin\code\python\test_system\scoring\results\16\17055079037\some files log files here or in directory's below this.

The system outputs many hundreds of directories at the 17055079037 level. I don't want to segment on host, source, or sourcetype (as I have manually defined these to cut the console spam). I'd just want the 17055079037 level to be reported as an event attribute, so when I open the error log within Splunk, I can readably see that the log file originated from the 17055079037 directory.

I am guessing this is something to do with segmentation, but I don't know how to configure the inputs.conf for this.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can extract fields from other fields, in this case from source:

props.conf
[sourcetype, source, or host stanza]
EXTRACT-level = ^(?:[^\\]+\\){8}(?<level>[^\\]+) in source

That would give you a field level set to the segment after the eighth backslash.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can extract fields from other fields, in this case from source:

props.conf
[sourcetype, source, or host stanza]
EXTRACT-level = ^(?:[^\\]+\\){8}(?<level>[^\\]+) in source

That would give you a field level set to the segment after the eighth backslash.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...