Getting Data In

How to use SSL validation with HEC?

FastTrack
Observer

Hi all,

I'm very new to Splunk, so apologies if the question is common knowledge. I've found a lot of different posts describing the issue - but basically none which actually offers a (for me) viable solution. So I hope you can help me out.

Basically we have a webhook setup which can POST data upon different events in our software. This setup is serving a lot of different customers for various needs - not just one customers' Splunk setup. I've set up a HTTP Event Collector endpoint in my Splunk Cloud to receive the data, and created a webhook to send data to my Splunk HEC endpoint.

However - I can't send any data to the endpoint without disabling SSL validation, because Splunk uses self-signed certificates. I've seen a lot of different posts on how you just need to disable SSL validation, but that's not a great option in a production environment with a lot of different customers.

So my question is: 

- How would I setup Splunk so that we can send HTTPS requests to our different customers Splunk endpoints without disabling SSL validation?

As we serve a lot of different customers, we can't have a per-customer certificate setup. We basically just need to be able to call the public HTTPS endpoint in splunk - preferably with SSL validation intact.

I really hope someone can help me shed a light on this. The only answer I seem to be able to find is either to install certificates (not an option in a SaaS solution) or to disable SSL validation, which I'm very hesitant to do.

Thanks a lot guys 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...