Getting Data In

How to troubleshoot why TIME_FORMAT is not being applied events at index time?

asleeis
Path Finder

I've looked through many posts about TIME_FORMAT being ignored. None seemed to quite apply to me. This is a single instance (so the issue of forwarder/indexer doesn't apply).

Here's the issue:

This is the sourcetype definition:

[crashplan_service_log]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = \[\d+\.\d+\.\d+ \d+:\d+:\d+\.\d+
DATETIME_CONFIG =
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 43
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TIME_FORMAT = %m.%d.%y %H:%M:%S.%3Q
category = Custom
description = Format for CrashPlan service.log
pulldown_type = true

Here are some sample logs:

[12.13.16 14:55:09.918 WARN  inot-hand-1  ode42.jna.inotify.InotifyManager] Unable to remove watch for path /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/1481669072.863/remote_events, errno: 22
[12.13.16 14:55:09.917 WARN  inot-hand-1  ode42.jna.inotify.InotifyManager] Unable to remove watch for path /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/1481669072.863/buckets, errno: 22
[12.13.16 14:55:09.767 WARN  inot-hand-1  ode42.jna.inotify.InotifyManager] Unable to remove watch for path /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/1481669072.863/events, errno: 22
[12.13.16 14:55:06.218 INFO  099_SFQ-CW-1 42.backup.path.BackupSetsManager] BSM:: Backup set is out of schedule! Stopping...

When setting up the input, Splunk by default was trying to match %y.%m.%d for the date portion. It is actually %m.%d.%y. So, I tried to override that by specifying the DATE_FORMAT. However, it seems to just ignore what I specified and still use the %y.%m.%d of the date string. It gets the time right either way.

Now, if I perform a query (All Time), and then override the _time variable with strptime(), it works just fine. But I'd like this to work when ingested, not at query time... not to mention querying All Time when I only need the last few hours is wasteful. This query adjusts the datetime correctly when it imported it incorrectly:

source=/usr/local/crashplan/log/service.log.0 | rex field=_raw "^\[(?<dts>\d+\.\d+\.\d+ \d+:\d+:\d+\.\d+) " | eval _time=strptime(dts, "%m.%d.%y %H:%M:%S.%3Q") | eval evt=case(match(_raw, "Unable to remove watch for path"), "watch_error", 1=1, "other") | timechart span=1h count by evt

Anyone see what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Solution

coltwanger
Contributor

Have you tried specifying a TIME_PREFIX? I was having issues ingesting this through the wizard until I added a prefix:

TIME_PREFIX = \[

View solution in original post

amallik

Try following, I was able to ingest Crashplan service log successfully.

[crashplan_service]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 21
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TIME_FORMAT = %m.%d.%y %H:%M:%S.%3N
TIME_PREFIX = ^\[
category = Custom
description = crashplan_service
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true
0 Karma

coltwanger
Contributor

Have you tried specifying a TIME_PREFIX? I was having issues ingesting this through the wizard until I added a prefix:

TIME_PREFIX = \[

asleeis
Path Finder

Oh crap! Actually, I tried it with just "[" and not escaping it. I just retried when I realized that, and it seems to recognize that correctly.

So solution is to add in the prefix of: \[

Thank you! Such a simple issue, and yet so brain racking. Kinda like a missing ; in one's code back in the day. 🙂

ppablo
Retired

Don't forget to upvote the answer by @coltwanger for helping you out!

0 Karma

coltwanger
Contributor

Glad it's resolved! I run into these issues from time to time because I mostly edit them in the CONFs themselves. Running it through a the Add Data UI sometimes helps to catch errors you wouldn't normally see. In this case Splunk whined about a regex issue with TIME_PREFIX when I just tried [ 🙂

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

+1 to the the 'add data' wizard . It's a great place to test out these settings on sample data!!
j

- MattyMo
0 Karma

asleeis
Path Finder

I have. Didn't help.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...