Getting Data In

How to troubleshoot why I am receiving no data from my universal forwarder?

gfaggiano

Okay... Here is my hangup. I've taken some training:
-What is Splunk
-Searching and Reporting
-Building Objects

But... All my training was dealing with an environment that was already set up and configured. I have no training for what I'm trying to do!

So I installed Universal Forwarder (newest available) on a Windows 7 workstation.
Default Ports

I've installed an instance of Splunk Enterprise on another workstation in the same domain.
I setup to listen on the same port (9997?) I can't remember the port number off the top of my head 😛
I made sure the services were running and did a netstat to make sure the ports were getting through. all good.

My problem is that I've tried setting up some data inputs, but i'm not sure I did it correctly because i'm getting no action from the forwarder.

Here's a simple rundown of what I want to forward (to get me started):

TCP bytes for:

UDP bytes for:

Any guidance would be great!

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Take a look here as well for troubleshooting information.

0 Karma

gfaggiano

Thank you all for your responses. I still don't know why the data I requested wasn't sent by the forwarder. Fortunately, I didn't end up needing it because the same data was coming in from the event logs. Although I am academically curious, I was able to bring closure to my issue.

0 Karma

satishsdange
Builder
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you created a outputs.conf file on forwarder to send data to Indexer? If a correct outputs.conf is created, the forwarder should send forwarder's internal logs to your Indexers (without needing to setup an inputs.conf). Once you see internal logs (index=_internal host=yourforwarder), then you can setup data inputs.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking the forwarder.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

gfaggiano

Thanks Rich. Firewall isn't the problem. No local firewall. Both client and "server" are inside the firewall.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...