Getting Data In

How to track domain logons from DC security logs?

johann2017
Explorer

I want to be able to track domain logons from our DC security logs. I am monitoring Event 4624, but the DC security logs only seem to provide domain member authentication for Type 3 logons. What are others using for this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

Depends on how homogeneous your network and your user base are. Check for these and see what you find.

(EventID=528 OR EventID=540 OR EventID=552 OR EventID=4624 OR EventID=4648)  

Whether the individual workstations are going to forward their logs of type 7 events, whether you have technical users that will be using runas and generating type 9s, logging on through VPN and generating type 10s, not to mention whether there is any KVM/IP going on and generating pseudo-Type 2s, and so on, is highly organization-specific.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Depends on how homogeneous your network and your user base are. Check for these and see what you find.

(EventID=528 OR EventID=540 OR EventID=552 OR EventID=4624 OR EventID=4648)  

Whether the individual workstations are going to forward their logs of type 7 events, whether you have technical users that will be using runas and generating type 9s, logging on through VPN and generating type 10s, not to mention whether there is any KVM/IP going on and generating pseudo-Type 2s, and so on, is highly organization-specific.

0 Karma

johann2017
Explorer

Thanks I will experiment with your suggestion!

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Oh, and that's for windows; unix logons have a whole different set of criteria. As a place to start, look for stuff like this -

((pam_vas:* AND "<succeeded") OR "Accepted" OR "Auth_methods_completed") 
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...