Getting Data In

How to set up a heavy forwarder/deployment server on one server?

sbattista09
Contributor

After building a deployment and a heavy forwarder on one server we seem to be having issues when we point the universal forwarders to the heavy forwarder. We are new to Splunk 6.3.1 and are not sure if there have been any changes in how to do this?

Overview:
We spun up two new Splunk heavy forwarders for a new company and need both of them to forward logs to our indexers. One of the new heavy forwarders will also act as a deployment server. When setting them up, my stanza are as follows;

Deployment app in Splunk\etc\deployment-apps\App1\default (outputs.conf)-

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = lb_group
disabled = false
heartbeatFrequency = 300

[tcpout:lb_group]
server = HF1.com:9997, HF2.com:9997
autoLB = true
disabled = false

HF config: Splunk\etc\system\local (outputs.conf)

[syslog:my_syslog_group]
#FWD logs to an IDS
disabled = false
server = 10.10.10.10:514
type = udp
sendCookedData = false

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = lb_group
disabled = false

[tcpout:lb_group]
server = idx01.com:9997, idx02.com:9997, idx03.com:9997 
autoLB = true
disabled = false

Any input will help,
thank you in advance!

1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This should work. Just note that the HF that runs as the DS cannot be a member of itself. So you will only be able to deploy the config to one of the HFs, not both.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What problem do you see when your UF are pointing to HF?

0 Karma

sbattista09
Contributor

I do not see any data coming into our indexers when this is set however, i do see the UF's getting the deployment app that points them to the HF's.

When i change the app to send to the indexers to bypass the HF's i see all the data. I don't understand if the HF needs any addition stanzas set to listen for these connections?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check if this is been set on HF

Set up receiving with the configuration file
You can enable receiving on your Splunk Enterprise instance by configuring inputs.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local. To configure a universal forwarder as an intermediate forwarder (a forwarder that functions also as a receiver), use this method.

To enable receiving, add a [splunktcp] stanza that specifies the receiving port. In this example, the receiving port is 9997:

[splunktcp://9997]
disabled = 0
0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This should work. Just note that the HF that runs as the DS cannot be a member of itself. So you will only be able to deploy the config to one of the HFs, not both.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...