Getting Data In

How to set up a Universal Forwarder to allow it to receive logs via the REST API?

sujitdmello

We have a Universal Forwarder (UF) installation on premises that collects logs from various UF Agents and sends them to Splunk Cloud.

But we also want to be able to send logs via an API to the forwarder. These are logs that are coming from other sources that don't have the agent. How do we set up the receiver on the universal forwarder to allow it to receive logs via the REST API ?

These are all Windows based.

0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

sujitdmello

That's what I wanted to do but this is what is mentioned in the docs:

Note: Deploying HTTP Event Collector on a forwarder requires the use of a full Splunk Enterprise install configured as a forwarder—that is, a heavy forwarder. HTTP Event Collector is not supported on universal forwarders.

Sujit

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The documentation probably needs an update, I just tested on a 6.5.2 forwarder and it worked fine !

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

FYI I asked the development team via email and they said using the HEC on the universal forwarder is not currently a supported configuration even though it works...

0 Karma

fred070

Agree that Splunk UF with HEC works via an unsecured connection.

Not working though, if using secured socket (it might require SSL Certificates)

0 Karma

sujitdmello

Thanks for the confirmation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...