Getting Data In

How to run a python script from a universal forwarder?

marksheinbaum
Explorer

I wrote a screen scraping script on a server running Splunk Forwarder version 8.2.3. The script is in a file and runs find from the linux command line. It was developed with Python 3.6. I added the script to our Universal Forwarder local inputs.conf and I can see the script is scheduled successfully. However, it consistently fails with a message in the splunkd.log. I have no idea why the message references python3.7. It is not installed anywhere on the system 3.6 is installed in /usr/bin/python3.6. I tried changing the server.conf properties in local by adding "python.version = python3" in the [general] section and restarting, but to no avail. Please advise what else I might try. Thanks. in advance.

08-18-2022 00:19:45.525 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor [3423479 ExecProcessor] - message from "python3.7 /opt/splunk/sjcinf8469vmw15/splunkforwarder-8.2.3/splunkforwarder/bin/scripts/scrapeGmrPage.py" /bin/sh: python3.7: command not found

Labels (1)
0 Karma

marksheinbaum
Explorer

I answered this previously. Using the splunk cmd with the script and path works fine. Running the script automatically by configuring the input.conf file in ../etc/apps/SplunkUniversalForwarder/local/ results in the error

08-22-2022 16:14:15.264 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor [3793782 ExecProcessor] - message from "python3.7 /opt/splunk/sjcinf8469vmw15/splunkforwarder-8.2.3/splunkforwarder/bin/scripts/scrapeGmrPage.py" /bin/sh: python3.7: command not found

0 Karma

chaker
Contributor

- If you want Splunk to run your script, put it in a shell script and call the systems /usr/bin/python. Then you can use the script input on the UF to capture the output.

- Alternatively, you can run the script on the systems cron scheduler, and output the contents to a file, then have Splunk monitor that file.

0 Karma

marksheinbaum
Explorer

The script runs fine when I run as you suggested. 

./splunk cmd ~/sjcinf8469vmw15/splunkforwarder/bin/scripts/scrapeGmrPage.py

BTW, I do not see any python interpreters in the splunk bin directory. Not sure if that is relevant:

pwd
/opt/splunk/sjcinf8469vmw15/splunkforwarder/bin

ls
2to3-3.7 copyright.txt genRootCA.sh openssl pip3 prigreypng priweavepng slim wheel
btool easy_install genSignedServerCert.sh pid_check.sh pip3.7 pripalpng pydoc3 splunk
btprobe easy_install-2.7 genWebCert.sh pip pip3.7x pripamtopng pydoc3.7 splunkd
bzip2 easy_install-3.7 idle3 pip2 prichunkpng pripnglsch scripts splunkmon
classify fill_test idle3.7 pip2.7 priforgepng pripngtopam setSplunkEnv srm

0 Karma

chaker
Contributor

My apologies, I gave you bad info about the python3 with Splunk UF. See below  link

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Enterprise/Run-Python-scripts-with-universal-forwarder-to-mod...

One work around could be to run the script on a cronjob, have it write STDOUT to a file, and use a file montior to capture the output into Splunk.

0 Karma

chaker
Contributor

If you use ./splunk cmd /pathToScript/scrapeGmrPage.py does it give the same error or different?

Splunk ships with its own python3 parser in its splunk/bin directory, and should be using that to run scripts if it's being run by Splunk.

You may have an environment variable problem with $SPLUNK_HOME or there could  be an absolute path somewhere. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...