Getting Data In

How to resolve "Invalid username or password. Your license is Expired" error?

elauber
Explorer

I've been contracted to install and setup Splunk Enterprise on Windows Server 2008R2 for a customer. I originally did an install back in December, had changed the admin's password, but then the customer delayed the project and reassigned me. I'm now back on the Splunk project.

Splunk was never licensed, although I have the license file to use. I accessed localhost:8000 intending to log in and add the license, but the password I configured in December didn't work.

Invalid username or password.
Your license is expired.
Please login as an administrator to update the license.

I tried stopping the Splunk services, renaming the passwd file in /etc/ per other posts to delete all users and passwords, restarting the service and then logging in with admin and changeme but I get the same error message. I'm not sure how to get into Splunk in order to update the license.

1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After deleting the $Splunk_Home/etc/passwd file and restart, it should allow you to login using admin:changeme. You would get error for license as the trial license must have expired. If no development was done on that machine last time, you could just un-install and re-install Splunk. If there is something, just take backup of $Splunk_Home/etc/apps, $Splunk_Home/etc/users and $Splunk_Home/etc/system/local directory before re-install.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After deleting the $Splunk_Home/etc/passwd file and restart, it should allow you to login using admin:changeme. You would get error for license as the trial license must have expired. If no development was done on that machine last time, you could just un-install and re-install Splunk. If there is something, just take backup of $Splunk_Home/etc/apps, $Splunk_Home/etc/users and $Splunk_Home/etc/system/local directory before re-install.

hydernbk117

Hi, I've installed the Free version and just to confirm how long does a trial last?

The reason I ask is because the install hasn't been activated for more than 2 days and now its saying the license has expired? Please advise

0 Karma

elauber
Explorer

I followed the comment from somesoni2 and uninstalled and reinstalled the software. It appears to be working now. There may have been another solution, but that worked for me.

0 Karma

elauber
Explorer

I had originally thought uninstalling and reinstalling would be a bit extreme, but I didn't have any configuration in place so it's not a real loss. I'm running now, thank you!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...