Getting Data In

How to replicate a particular index's indexed data to other set of indexers?

bharadwaja30
Explorer

We have 2 sets of Indexers in our environment. Set-1 has 29 indexers and Set-2 has 5 indexers.

All the data comes to Set-1 indexers through 16 Heavy Forwarders. This data includes capacity planning data (say with index = cpd). All the capacity data should also be available on Set-2 indexers. Though we can route the capacity planning data directly to the two sets on Indexers, we do not want to do that because it will consume the license twice.

So we want all the data to be indexed in Set-1 indexers. After the data gets indexed, we want to replicate just the data in index=cpd (capacity planning data) to Set-2 indexers. Once the data replicates to Set-2 indexers it should not be indexed again (license concern)

In short, we want to have a copy of a particular index's data (which is available on Set-1 indexers) on Set-2 indexers.

I have gone through splunk docs and splunk answers, but did not find the answer I am looking for.

Could someone help me in getting solution for this issue? Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

HI,

I don't think that's possible to have specific replication settings by index but that would certainly cover that and other more complex replication topologies.
Currently the only possible settings is to replicate or not a index but that's probably not what you wan't to achieve.

I would suggest you to fill a enhancement request for the feature you need.

0 Karma

bharadwaja30
Explorer

Hi Maraman,

Thanks for responding to my question. Yes, I think you are right. Nowhere in splunk docs did I find how to get this done. May be I need to fill a enhancement request for this feature.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is incorrect. You can control replication on/off on a per-index bases as noted in The indexes.conf repFactor attribute section here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.1/Indexer/Configurethepeerindexes

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...