Getting Data In

How to rename a JSON field by editing a configuration file (NOT when running search)?

leonjxtan
Path Finder

There is a log source that publishes events in JSON format, but the field name is in 3-digit numbers, not in English, like below:

{"xyzEvent" : {111 : "2017-03-20 02:58:02.000",222 : "New", 333 : "Alex Bob"}}

I wanted to rename those field names when the events arrive, not when support users search in the application.
For example, I wanted to rename 111 to "TimeStamp"; 222 to "EventType"; 333 to "User", etc.
Could you advise the easiest way to do so?

Ways I have tried:
I was thinking to config the search props.conf to specific those fields, but it seems I can only config based on regex. It does not seem to be an efficient way...

0 Karma
1 Solution

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As @niketnilay is saying in a comment in question, you can use props.conf's FIELDALIAS attribute.

FIELDALIAS-alias01 = xyzEvent.111 AS TimeStamp
FIELDALIAS-alias02 = xyzEvent.222 AS EventType
FIELDALIAS-alias03 = xyzEvent.333 AS User

One thing is that 111, 222, 333 require double-quotes as strings.
If they do not have double-quotes, Splunk will not be able to take the event as json format, and auto-KV extraction will not extract field 111, 222, 333.

Please double-check the events using a Json validator available in Internet.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As @niketnilay is saying in a comment in question, you can use props.conf's FIELDALIAS attribute.

FIELDALIAS-alias01 = xyzEvent.111 AS TimeStamp
FIELDALIAS-alias02 = xyzEvent.222 AS EventType
FIELDALIAS-alias03 = xyzEvent.333 AS User

One thing is that 111, 222, 333 require double-quotes as strings.
If they do not have double-quotes, Splunk will not be able to take the event as json format, and auto-KV extraction will not extract field 111, 222, 333.

Please double-check the events using a Json validator available in Internet.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

You can create field alias knowledge object.

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...