Getting Data In

How to push *.conf to universal forwarders?

DUThibault
Contributor

I've got my Universal Forwarder doing indexing on some data sources for my Splunk instance. After spending some time directly editing the Universal Forwarder's /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/_server_app_<class>/local/ directory (tweaking inputs.conf and creating props.conf and transforms.conf) only to have Splunk Web wipe the latter two files whenever I changed the data inputs on the Universal Forwarder, I figured out that I should edit those files on the Splunk instance, in its /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/_server_app_<class>/local/ directory. Changes to inputs.conf (from Splunk Web) are sent to the Universal Forwarder without wiping props.conf and transforms.conf. Better.

But now, when I tweak props.conf and transforms.conf on the Splunk instance (without going through Splunk Web), the changes aren't copied across. Only inputs.conf gets synced. How do I get Splunk to push props.conf and transforms.conf to the Universal Forwarder?

0 Karma
1 Solution

DUThibault
Contributor

As somesoni2 indicated, the solution is to issue the command line splunk reload deploy-server on the main instance (the deployment server). There is apparently no such facility in the Splunk Web pages.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

As somesoni2 indicated, the solution is to issue the command line splunk reload deploy-server on the main instance (the deployment server). There is apparently no such facility in the Splunk Web pages.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you change the files directly on the file system on the Deployment Server (your Splunk Enterprise instance is acting as Deployment server), you'd need to run splunk reload deployment-server command for DS to pickup changes and make it available for your Splunk UF to download. See this for reload command information
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/Updating/Updateconfigurations#2._Reload_the_deplo...

DUThibault
Contributor

I knew it had to be something like that. The question that comes up then is: Why isn't there a reload option in the Settings: (Distributed environment) Forwarder management page?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...