Getting Data In

How to parse radius/NPS log files in Splunk?

Nathan
Engager

Hello,

I've tried parsing my Radius log files using this tutorial :   https://fraserclark926577729.wordpress.com/2019/12/18/monitoring-windows-nps-logs-with-splunk/ 

So i created my app in "/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/nps_monitor" and in "/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/nps_monitor/local" my 3 files :

app.conf:

#
# Splunk app configuration file
#
[install]
is_configured = 0
[ui]
is_visible = 1
label = nps_monitor
[launcher]
author = NW
description =
version = 1.0.0

props.conf:

[ias]
 SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
 KV_MODE = NONE
 INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = CSV # The type of file that Splunk software should expect for a given sourcetype, and the extraction and/or parsing method that should be used on the file.
 # This setting tells Splunk to specify the header field names directly
 FIELD_NAMES = ComputerName,ServiceName,Record_Date,Record_Time,Packet_Type,User_Name,Fully_Qualified_Distinguished_Name,
Called_Station_ID,Calling_Station_ID,Callback_Number,Framed_IP_Address,NAS_Identifier,NAS_IP_Address,NAS_Port,Client_Vendor,Client_IP_Address,
Client_Friendly_Name,Event_Timestamp,Port_Limit,NAS_Port_Type,Connect_Info,Framed_Protocol,Service_Type,Authentication_Type,Policy_Name,Reason_Code,
Class,Session_Timeout,Idle_Timeout,Termination_Action,EAP_Friendly_Name,Acct_Status_Type,Acct_Delay_Time,Acct_Input_Octets,Acct_Output_Octets,Acct_Session_Id,
Acct_Authentic,Acct_Session_Time,Acct_Input_Packets,Acct_Output_Packets,Acct_Terminate_Cause,Acct_Multi_Ssn_ID,Acct_Link_Count,Acct_Interim_Interval,
Tunnel_Type,Tunnel_Medium_Type,Tunnel_Client_Endpt,Tunnel_Server_Endpt,Acct_Tunnel_Conn,Tunnel_Pvt_Group_ID,Tunnel_Assignment_ID,Tunnel_Preference,
MS_Acct_Auth_Type,MS_Acct_EAP_Type,MS_RAS_Version,MS_RAS_Vendor,MS_CHAP_Error,MS_CHAP_Domain,MS_MPPE_Encryption_Types,MS_MPPE_Encryption_Policy,
Proxy_Policy_Name,Provider_Type,Provider_Name,Remote_Server_Address,MS_RAS_Client_Name,MS_RAS_Client_Version
 TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%Y%n%H:%M:%S
 MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20
 TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = Record_Date,Record_Time
 DATETIME_CONFIG =
 NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
 disabled = false
 pulldown_type = true

inputs.conf:

[monitor://C:\NPS-Log\IN*.log]
sourcetype = ias
index = radius
disabled = 0

i've deployed my app on my server : 

Nathan_0-1685448451053.png

I can see the app on my server folder too but no data are coming into my "radius" index.

Did I miss something ? Thanks for your help

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The first error message quoted referred to previous error messages.  Did you look at them?  What did they say?

I suspect these messages stem from the invalid INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS value in props.conf.  Comments must be on separate lines.  A comment on the same line as a setting is considered part of the setting's value.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Verify the contents of the props.conf and inputs.conf files are correct.  Is the file path specified in the input the right one for your environment?  Does Splunk have read access to the file?  Have you checked splunkd.log on the forwarder?  Are the forwarder's internal logs being sent to your indexers?  If not, then fix that first.

---
0 Karma

Nathan
Engager

Here is the error I'm getting in splunkd.log :

05-26-2023 16:04:36.873 +0200 ERROR TailReader [10796 tailreader0] - Ignoring path="C:\NPS-Log\IN230331.log" due to: Invalid indexed extractions configuration - see prior error messages
05-26-2023 16:04:36.874 +0200 ERROR IndexedExtractionsConfig [10796 tailreader0] - Invalid value='CSV # The type of file that Splunk software should expect for a given sourcetype, and the extraction and/or parsing

I copied the props.conf from https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/How-to-parse-Radius-log-files-into-splunk-What-...   maybe it's wrongn what should I replace in my indexed_extractions ? 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The first error message quoted referred to previous error messages.  Did you look at them?  What did they say?

I suspect these messages stem from the invalid INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS value in props.conf.  Comments must be on separate lines.  A comment on the same line as a setting is considered part of the setting's value.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...