Getting Data In

How to parse out a single line following a static line in a java stack trace?

enkidu999

Hello,

I am new to Splunk and attempting to parse and display a single line of text from a java stack trace captured in a single event.

Here is a sample of the stack trace:

com.sun.proxy.$Proxy90.executeOpCodeForXml(Unknown Source)
ca.shaw.billing.integration.core.BrmGateway.buildConnection(BrmGateway.java:61)
ca.shaw.billing.integration.core.BrmGateway.executeOpCodeForXml(BrmGateway.java:39)
ca.shaw.billing.tasks.account.overview.AccountOverviewTask.getAgingBucketsResponseFlist(AccountOverviewTask.java:93)
ca.shaw.billing.tasks.account.overview.AccountOverviewTask.getAccountOverviewInfo(AccountOverviewTask.java:64)

I have built a "top" display for all the events which find this stack trace over a given period of time using the following query:

index=brm source=/opt/brm/weblogic/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/billing_service_domain/servers/* "[STUCK] ExecuteThread" "socketRead0" | rex field=_raw "X_SHAW_TRANSACTION_ID:(?.*)" 
| eval myTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q")
| dedup theTransaction 
|  top 0 myTime,theTransaction

What I am having trouble with is parsing out the line that follows a static line which is in all stack traces:

ca.shaw.billing.integration.core.BrmGateway.executeOpCodeForXml(BrmGateway.java:39)

...then add this result to the display as well.

From above, the line I would want is:

ca.shaw.billing.tasks.account.overview.AccountOverviewTask.getAgingBucketsResponseFlist(AccountOverviewTask.java:93)

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

jnudell_2
Builder

Hello enkidu999,

If you want to parse out the line following a line in an event, here is how you would do it. Let's take your sample data:

ca.shaw.billing.tasks.account.overview.AccountOverviewTask.getAccountOverviewInfo(AccountOverviewTask.java:64)

To get the line following ca.shaw.billing.integration.core.BrmGateway.executeOpCodeForXml(BrmGateway.java:39) you would do something like this:

| rex "ca\.shaw\.billing\.integration\.core\.BrmGateway\.executeOpCodeForXml\(BrmGateway\.java:39\)[\r\n]+(?<LineIWant>[^\r\n]+)"

(When using rex you have to escape special characters in regex, like the period . or parenthesis () with a backslash character \ as seen above)
How does this look?
In the following image I create a "dummy" event using your 5 lines of data. Then I apply the | rex command after the dummy event is created. Next I print a table with the _raw field and the captured field (LineIWant in this case, but you can change that to whatever you want it to be in the rex command)
Screen Capture:
alt text

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@enkidu999,

Try | rex field=_raw "ca\.shaw\.billing\.integration\.core\.BrmGateway\.executeOpCodeForXml\(BrmGateway\.java:39\)(?<stack_trace_line>[^)]+\))" command to extract that line. This will extract the line you want in field stack_trace_line.

Hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

enkidu999

Hello VatsalJagani,

Your rex worked great!

Thanks!

0 Karma

jnudell_2
Builder

Hello enkidu999,

If you want to parse out the line following a line in an event, here is how you would do it. Let's take your sample data:

To get the line following ca.shaw.billing.integration.core.BrmGateway.executeOpCodeForXml(BrmGateway.java:39) you would do something like this:

| rex "ca\.shaw\.billing\.integration\.core\.BrmGateway\.executeOpCodeForXml\(BrmGateway\.java:39\)[\r\n]+(?<LineIWant>[^\r\n]+)"

(When using rex you have to escape special characters in regex, like the period . or parenthesis () with a backslash character \ as seen above)
How does this look?
In the following image I create a "dummy" event using your 5 lines of data. Then I apply the | rex command after the dummy event is created. Next I print a table with the _raw field and the captured field (LineIWant in this case, but you can change that to whatever you want it to be in the rex command)
Screen Capture:
alt text

0 Karma

enkidu999

Hello jnudell_2,
Thanks for showing me a sample of how you would set it up, you saved me hours of searching forums and trial+error, being new to Splunk.
Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...