Getting Data In

How to narrow Scope of WinNetMon Input to Domain Users?

cfloquet
Path Finder

Hello, 

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question, I'm currently configuring an custom app to deploy to Windows workstations to monitor both inbound and outbound connections strictly for domain users, to correlate the foreign IPv4s with phishing/C2 addresses we obtain via threat intelligence. 

To avoid the noise made by local or system level accounts, I would like to specify the "user" field within appName/local/inputs.conf using regex, as outlined in Splunk inputs.conf documentation, unfortunately there is no clear example of how regex can be used to do a simple restriction to only domain level accounts, which is a very common use case I'd imagine. 

What I would like to accomplish is a version of the following:

[WinNetMon://inbound-mon]

disabled=0

<...>

user=domain\*

This would effectively only monitor the inbound connections made by users that are preceded with the company domain, and thus eliminate traffic/noise from the endpoint gathering updates etc. 

Please advise on the best way to accomplish this, any working answer will be happily greeted with karma and accepted as the final solution, many thanks in advance!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

cfloquet
Path Finder

"Fine, I'll do it myself..."

[WinNetMon://<name of monitor input>]

disabled=0

<...>

user=domain\\(.*)

I have tested this and it works as expected, at least for me it did. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cfloquet
Path Finder

"Fine, I'll do it myself..."

[WinNetMon://<name of monitor input>]

disabled=0

<...>

user=domain\\(.*)

I have tested this and it works as expected, at least for me it did. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...